Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 10/12/13 21:33, Rob Beard wrote:
> There's a guide on the Mint web site here which explains the whole
> process... http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Yeah, that guide is crap and is the exact page which motivated me to
just describe how much simpler and effective it is to do the upgrade via
apt-get (which that page specifically says they "don't recommend", not
that it doesn't work). It then links to another 'guide' which doesn't
work any more as it was written for Mint 9 (!) and is also rubbish...
The comments beneath on the other hand are full of people using the
apt-get method happily and supplying very brief instructions that are
substantially the same as I used.

It just pained me to think of users like Julian who replied earlier who
were actually thinking about going through that whole tedious process
listed on the site... so unnecessary. Hopefully I saved a few people a
few hours. And George learned what sed does :]

Cheers