Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 10/12/13 18:20, George Parker wrote:
> I think this could safely go into the LUG how-to's

Also on this subject, I was asked off-list by someone here if I could
maybe do something similar for Arch Linux - call it "bad apple's hacky
way to get Arch running without reading a million pages of their wiki
first".*

Now, I don't think installing Arch is that much of a problem but then I
also don't think maintaining OpenBSD current on MIPs hardware is
difficult either: I suspect other people may not agree. Having not
actually done an Arch install for a while, I fired up a VM last night
and quickly ran through a build and although I still didn't find it
particularly complex, there is quite a lot to do compared with sticking
an Ubuntu DVD in a drive and clicking next a few times. I can definitely
see it being a bit off-putting for casual users who fancy taking it for
a test drive in VirtualBox, even following the excellent Beginner's
Guide. It doesn't help that the documentation is scattered all over the
place, and doesn't touch on the most important issue: getting SSHD
running immediately at the first point of the install routine, so you
can actually copy/paste instructions directly from the Install guide,
wikis, etc, instead leaving you to type manually often very specific and
long commands directly into your VM or physical host. That's going to
lead to bad typos before long.

So, if anyone else is interested in what will essentially be a more
friendly "wrapper" around the already excellent install guides on the
Arch site, pulling together all the miscellaneous extra bits they don't
mention, then chime in here and if it's going to be of any use to at
least a couple of people, I'll go ahead and knock it up.

Cheers

* Although once you've got the basics up and running, you really, really
*should* read their documentation properly - it's excellent quality as
well, and mostly applicable to all Linux systems