From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
bad apple
Sent: 10 December 2013 18:52
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 10/12/13 18:20, George Parker wrote:
> I think this could safely go into the LUG how-to's

Also on this subject, I was asked off-list by someone here if I could maybe do
something similar for Arch Linux - call it "bad apple's hacky way to get Arch
running without reading a million pages of their wiki
first".*

Now, I don't think installing Arch is that much of a problem but then I also don't
think maintaining OpenBSD current on MIPs hardware is difficult either: I suspect
other people may not agree. Having not actually done an Arch install for a while, I
fired up a VM last night and quickly ran through a build and although I still didn't
find it particularly complex, there is quite a lot to do compared with sticking an
Ubuntu DVD in a drive and clicking next a few times. I can definitely see it being a
bit off-putting for casual users who fancy taking it for a test drive in VirtualBox,
even following the excellent Beginner's Guide. It doesn't help that the
documentation is scattered all over the place, and doesn't touch on the most
important issue: getting SSHD running immediately at the first point of the install
routine, so you can actually copy/paste instructions directly from the Install
guide, wikis, etc, instead leaving you to type manually often very specific and long
commands directly into your VM or physical host. That's going to lead to bad typos
before long.

So, if anyone else is interested in what will essentially be a more friendly
"wrapper" around the already excellent install guides on the Arch site, pulling
together all the miscellaneous extra bits they don't mention, then chime in here and
if it's going to be of any use to at least a couple of people, I'll go ahead and
knock it up.

Cheers

* Although once you've got the basics up and running, you really, really
*should* read their documentation properly - it's excellent quality as well, and
mostly applicable to all Linux systems