Re: [LUG] Simple programming language

On 16/11/13 20:11, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2013, at 19:33, stinga <stinga+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I am in the local school teaching programming and I want a non gui programming
>> language.
>> Old style like BASIC.
> There are lots, what particular skills are you trying to impart?
>
> Non-GUI is pretty broad.
>
> For example SQL introduces new concepts over things like BASIC, is really easy to
> set up for teaching and collecting work, non-GUI, but nothing like BASIC.
>
> I like Logo, of turtle fame, but you really want languages with lots of support if
> you have to also sell it as a marketable skill.
>
> Cygwin gets you C, C++, Fortran, Prolog, TCL, Ruby, Python, Scheme and some
> others, and a half dozen shells, various editors. Includes database clients as
> well for SQL. If the type of language you want isn't there I'd be surprised.

I was going to suggest Gordons Return to basic,  but that is Linux
only,  so unless you are going to be able to convince the school to
either upgrade or buy raspberry pis. you could try

kidsruby,     http://www.kidsruby.com/

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Exeter Raspberry PI Jam 23rd November - http://dcglug.drogon.net/meetings/
Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 14th December - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.