Re: [LUG] Router question

On 22/10/13 16:25, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:08:22 +0100, Neil Winchurst

Last evening, as reported in a previous email, Everything was fine,
router showed 14 Mb/s, speed test showed 11.7 Mb/s and the Youtube
videos were fine.

Just checked now, 1 pm. Router still at 14 Mb/s. Speed test gives me
3.2 Mb/s (that is not a typo) and the Youtube videos are crashing
again.
 From previous use of my set up I expect that some time later today it
will all go back to what I call normal and will all work just fine.

I am having a similar problem. For the last few years I have been
getting a reliable 5-6 Mb/s day and night but for the last month or so
I am getting anything upto 15 Mb/s during the day and 3-4 Mb/s (at
best) in the evenings. I bought a new filter and router (the old one was
10 years old anyway) but it hasn't made a lot of difference.

I am in Paignton and from looking at the BT Wholesale site it seems the
exchange is due an FTTC upgrade in the next couple of months. Does
anyone know if those upgrades benefit everyone on ADSL or just people
paying for fibre?

Kevin

About filters - if you are getting higher rates at regular times you don't need a new filter!! Its partly contention - the local exchange cannot support everyones demands but its also the sites you go to limiting your connection - so when fibre comes and your local ISP is not choking anything you will still see YouTube videos of cats breaking up because event the largest web sites cant cope at these times.
Tom te tom te tom