Re: [LUG] Gparted questions

On 18/10/2013 15:02, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 18/10/13 13:56, Philip Hudson wrote:
If you do use gparted, what you do is delete however many partitions you
want to delete (sounds like just one), all of which are then added to
the unused pool. You then have to create one or more new replacement
partitions from that pool before you can reuse the disk space previously
allocated -- this is the step missing from your conjectured workflow. To
answer your question: It *does* become free space but it is *not* ready
to use. Not til you create a new partition using the freed space.
GParted makes it about as easy as it could be.

Thanks. Just one more question and that is about swap space. Although it
is not used so much nowadays when most people have plenty of RAM, is one
area of swap all that is required? That is, if I have two or more
distros installed using dual boot, is there any need for each one to
have some swap?

Thanks

Neil

One thing to bear in mind, if you hibernate the machine you need enough swap to cover how much system memory you have (say on a system with 1GB Ram you need at least 1GB of swap for it to store the contents of the memory in) plus a bit extra, say a couple of hundred megs maybe. If you don't use hibernation then maybe just go for the same or 1.5 or 2 times the amount of system memory you have.

As for sharing the swap, again if you're not hibernating it shouldn't be an issue. If you are hibernating, well I'm not 100% sure but I'd guess you'd need a separate swap (otherwise each distro might not know that the swap is being used for hibernation data and just overwrite it).

You may have considered this before but I thought I'd throw it into the mix anyway, how about trying different distros with virtualisation? This way you can have one base OS on the machine, maybe Virtualbox (or any of the other upteen different virtualisation applications out there) and install different OSes in their own VM, when you want to get rid of them just delete the VM :-)

Rob