[LUG] Gparted questions

I have used gparted occasionally, but do not consider myself to be an expert. I have Googled about this, but am still a bit wary.

I have a laptop which is used for testing and trials. At the moment it has Xubuntu 13.04 and Mint 15 Xfce on it as a dual boot. I have decided that I no longer want Mint. I have just prepared a memory stick with the latest version of Xubuntu, version 13.10, so I would like to test it out.

So what I plan is to remove Mint from the drive, thus freeing up the space, and then to install Xubuntu 13.10 alongside v 13.04. Can I simply delete the Mint partition first and then install v 13.10 as a dual boot? Does deleting a partition mean that it becomes free space ready to use?

Perhaps I am being too careful, the laptop is not my main machine so if I mess it up it will be a pain but not a disaster.

Thanks for any help,

Neil