Re: [LUG] Gparted questions

If you do use gparted, what you do is delete however many partitions you want to delete (sounds like just one), all of which are then added to the unused pool. You then have to create one or more new replacement partitions from that pool before you can reuse the disk space previously allocated -- this is the step missing from your conjectured workflow. To answer your question: It *does* become free space but it is *not* ready to use. Not til you create a new partition using the freed space. GParted makes it about as easy as it could be.