Re: [LUG] Thoughts on crypto engineering

On 10/09/13 16:18, Philip Hudson wrote:
> I think this is actually a link from Martijn in an earlier message
> - open browser tab, can't recall when/how I opened it. Anyway:
>
> "Of the libraries above, Microsoft is probably due for the most
> scrutiny. While Microsoft employs good (and paranoid!) people to
> vet their algorithms, their ecosystem is obviously deeply
> closed-source. You can view Microsoft's code (if you sign enough
> licensing agreements) but you'll never build it yourself. Moreover
> they have the market share. If any commercial vendor is weakening
> encryption systems, Microsoft is probably the most likely
> suspect."
>
> Somebody remind me why it's wrong to assume that Microsoft will
> always do evil because it will always be evil.
>
> http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2013/09/on-nsa.html

"Evil" is a very difficult word, loaded with many implications - best
left to the philosophers and theologians. Probably best not to
randomly tag software companies with it when there are other companies
out there who actually directly profit from literally killing people
(Black Water, et al).

I've said all along that it's best to assume that all MS products
since NT have been backdoored, along with pretty much every other
US-based manufacturer so this doesn't change a thing. Including the
fact that presumed backdoors aside, Microsoft otherwise make some
excellent products (and some total crap as well, obviously).

Also, actual cold hard proof is still forthcoming. I for one will eat
my proverbial hat if eventually deep analysis shows there *wasn't* a
backdoor, but I've been saying that since day 0. I am nothing if not
consistent. None the less, intelligent people don't convict on rumour
and hearsay, no matter how much circumstantial evidence piles up on
the internet.

Regards

mr meowski | bad apple | key:DA2B8CF3