Re: [LUG] Power supplies - do they have transformers

On 07/09/13 10:22, Mark Evans wrote:

I used to have an interest in audio amps which tended to be specced for sales purposes as PMP (peak music power) but their "real" power should be quoted as RMS (root mean square), a much lower figure. This is true of any AC system but marketing like bigger numbers. A transformer on its own will be specced at RMS power. What a 500W switched mode power supply refers to I don't know but it sure isn't a 500 watt heater sitting in my computer.

George