Re: [LUG] Power supplies - do they have transformers

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Tom wrote:

Do the standard pc power supplies have a transformer in them. Just wondering as I found a 500W job for £12 and I cant get a 500w transformer for anything like that

In addition to the exitsing replies - always take PC PSU ratings with a huge pinch of salt. If you tried to suck 500w out of one rated to 500w my bet is that it would perform very badly.

And note that's 500w distributed over all the supplies - look at the ratings for each individual supply - the 5v & 12 ones will be the beefiest, but they're also supplying a seprate 5v (standby), 3.3v and -12v.

Gordon