Re: [LUG] OT: Privacy is not dead

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:41:40 +0000 (UTC)
Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>perhaps they even have some kind of direct access to my bank's systems,
>with or without the knowledge of the bank. It is also likely that the
>bar for this suspicious isn't particularly high.

PayPal have a threshold of Â1000 per year for an account that is *not*
registered for business use.  I found this out when I sold a large
number of old games (pencil & paper RPGs mostly) over a period of time.
When my sales value was nearing that magic number I got an email saying
that at Â1000, the relevant authorities would be notified as per money
laundering legislation.  I was also required to log in and verify
certain information, such as name & address.  Initially, I thought it
was a phishing attempt, but when I next logged into PayPal, I was
required to enter the details requested.

Nothing came of it, BTW.  Most likely because I'm a non-tax payer, and
the amount made via PayPal sales didn't take me over tax-free allowance
anyway.

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating