Re: [LUG] OT: Privacy is not dead

On 31/08/13 20:10, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:41:40 +0000 (UTC)
Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

perhaps they even have some kind of direct access to my bank's systems,
with or without the knowledge of the bank. It is also likely that the
bar for this suspicious isn't particularly high.
PayPal have a threshold of £1000 per year for an account that is *not*
registered for business use.  I found this out when I sold a large
number of old games (pencil & paper RPGs mostly) over a period of time.
When my sales value was nearing that magic number I got an email saying
that at £1000, the relevant authorities would be notified as per money
laundering legislation.  I was also required to log in and verify
certain information, such as name & address.  Initially, I thought it
was a phishing attempt, but when I next logged into PayPal, I was
required to enter the details requested.

Nothing came of it, BTW.  Most likely because I'm a non-tax payer, and
the amount made via PayPal sales didn't take me over tax-free allowance
anyway.

There's some weird stuff goes on in 'banking'. SOme of my bank accounts are where I used to live before moving down here. I have had demands that I move it down here but to do that I have to present ID to the bank where I used to live, not here. It took me about 3 months to close down a building society acct because of petty, easily got round bureaucracy, that served no purpose other than to make it difficult and it wasnt the BS faul.
Tom te tom te tom