Re: [LUG] OT: Privacy is not dead

On 31/08/2013 20:10, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:41:40 +0000 (UTC)
> Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Martijn,
>
>> perhaps they even have some kind of direct access to my bank's systems,
>> with or without the knowledge of the bank. It is also likely that the
>> bar for this suspicious isn't particularly high.
>
> PayPal have a threshold of £1000 per year for an account that is *not*
> registered for business use.

Folks, 20130831
As I use banks in places like PR China and ROK and the 'stans and Russia
etc as part of my work may I advise that the mandatory limit is amounts
of GBP 10, 000 or over in or out of UK to be reported unless known high
value 'normal' business verified  accounts. However most banks use
limits below this to to avoid going into  trouble over statute limits
thus setting for example a daily transfer limit from a private account
of GBP £5,000. by computer transfer.

I assume pay pal making sure they can complete the 'know your customer'
 part of the legislation when triggered over GBP £1,000.
Thus initial data, then more data. However  the personal presence bit is
a stumble when you bank in different UK internal countries, as you live
in one and probably bank where you were born or went to school.

regards
Eion MacDonald