Re: [LUG] Wireless router

Which is a shame, as the feature/price suits us nicely. The bandwiwdth
limiting and outbound balancing is very nice too.

Yes - nice features - especially for VoIP. The biggest issue though is poor port-forwarding and NAT handling. They start to mangle some NATted packets and after a while some of the port-forwarding seems to stop too - requiring a reboot. I think it's a memory leak (typical of poor NAT handling with things like VoIP phones which are going to put a bit of extra load in that department)

Many of our problems could be NAT related too, come to think about it, since we rely on it heavily.

The 28 series had hardware vpn/crypto on-board which really elped too, but having moved to openVpn that's fairly redundant now.

Yep. I really like the lan-to-lan stuff and it solved a problem I had years ago trying to get netgears to talk to each other.

Solve everything these days by either (a) dropping clients who insist on using ADSL, or (b) using ADSL modem (Vigor 120) and Linux router to do the clever stuff.

I think we've talked before about our necessity of using ADSL. But the second point is something we have considered and are thinking of moving towards now - good to hear we may be on the right track.