Re: [LUG] Wireless router

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Simon Avery wrote:

Router;  Drayteks will do all that you want. However - I've gone from being
a huge fan to merely a lukewarm one thanks to some stability issues. We
use
2820 and 2830s.

Ditto.

What specific issues are you seeing with them, Gordon?

We've had:

Lan-to-Lan VPN's reconnecting every 5 seconds or so.
LAn-to-Lan VPN's failing to route.
ADSL failing to route (Possibly 'stale adsl' scenario).

Each happening after an indeterminite time.

Rebooting the router resolves the issue - until next time.

Which is a shame, as the feature/price suits us nicely. The bandwiwdth
limiting and outbound balancing is very nice too.

Yes - nice features - especially for VoIP. The biggest issue though is poor port-forwarding and NAT handling. They start to mangle some NATted packets and after a while some of the port-forwarding seems to stop too - requiring a reboot. I think it's a memory leak (typical of poor NAT handling with things like VoIP phones which are going to put a bit of extra load in that department)

The 28 series had hardware vpn/crypto on-board which really elped too, but having moved to openVpn that's fairly redundant now.

Documentation is poor, Wifi good on the -N models (with segregation and in
latest firmware, also a catch-and-release built-in), tech support excellent
(and I've seen a suggestion I made two years ago make it into a firmware
update last year), interface sometimes bonkers. (The scheduling stuff just
as an example)

Solve everything these days by either (a) dropping clients who insist on using ADSL, or (b) using ADSL modem (Vigor 120) and Linux router to do the clever stuff.

Gordon