Re: [LUG] Banking trojan targeting Linux

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Neil Winchurst wrote:
All this has been interesting and worrying. I have come across something called Tor Project. This seems to be a secure browser system. About the only thing I am worried about on the internet is on line banking. If I used the Tor browser to access my bank would that be safer?

Not significantly so.

TL;DR Tor doesn't provide the kind of security you want for safely using online banking.

Using Tor to connect to your bank's website means that your ISP can't figure out that you're connecting to said website. Nor can the bank determine where it is that you're connecting from. And for third parties, such as law enforcement agencies, it's pretty damn hard to figure out that you've been connecting to them.

But I can't think of a situation where this would be useful. To do anything on the bank's website, you need to authenticate, and this likely authenticates you as a person (rather than as an Internet user) given that you must have opened the account once by going to a branch. If you're doing something illegal, it's pretty easy for LEAs to obtain all details of the transactions from the bank.

It may even be that your bank blocks access from the Tor network as it could well be a sign of malicious activity.

Martijn.