Re: [LUG] Archlinux on the RPI and the PI camera

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 17:33:40 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello bad,

>Ok, thanks for clearing that up - despite my fearsome BOFH reputation,
>I'm still sympathising with the users a little bit. I know, I know, I

What?!  Dope test!   :-)

>put it lightly, but nonetheless, when the car mechanic starts speaking
>about tracking, alignment, engine timings and the like my eyes cross
>over and I start to feel sleepy. I hand over the bank card, and she

My missus does, too.  Although I understand much of what the techs say
regarding my car, but I'm at a loss with regards to performing much in
the way of diagnostics.  having said that, I did do a complete engine
removal and replacement on a motorbike a few years ago.

>don't care about it - any of it. Spark plugs, ECUs, etc: it all sounds
>like it could be interesting but try as I might, I just can't bring
>myself to give a monkeys about the technical details. Cars bore me,

Since you don't drive, you don't really need the knowledge.  Nowadays,
to pass the driving test one needs to demonstrate that you know where to
put oil and water in the engine compartment.  Some manufacturers make it
easy by having the user action required cover made in bright yellow
plastic.

>they're just a functional thing that gets me from A to B (hopefully),
>with bonus points awarded for ash trays and a nice stereo.

Ash tray -  cash box, you mean?   :-)

>good point. But,  by extension, I guess that this is very similar to
>'ordinary' people not caring about the inner, deeply complicated and
>extremely confusing microcosm of computing. And although it could

Okay, I accept that, but using the car analogy, simply pressing the
power button isn't enough these days.  There's a person on another
mailing list that I sub to that quite frankly, is too bloody stupid to
even own a computer, given the questions he asks, and his stated level
of education(1).

>about cars to get by, but firmware flashing, IP filtering, disabling
>UPnP services... this stuff is genuinely voodoo. I feel your pain: I've

I disagree.  I'm far from a complete duffer, I know, but equally I'm not
as savvy as many of the other denizens of this list.  Turning off UPnP
is hardly rocket science.  IP filtering takes a while to get to grips
with admittedly, but firmware flashing, whilst not tricky, isn't for the
feint-hearted, since if things go amiss, you can end up bricking the
hardware.  I remember being very, /very/ nervous when I rebooted my
computer having flashed the BIOS.

>seen countless people's "eyes glaze over" when I start up on the state
>of their computers but for once, I find it kind of hard to blame them
>for it. We can't all be sysadmins or hackers after all.

True, but car owners are required to keep their car road worthy.
Checking tyre pressures, water and oil levels, lamps and so forth should
be part of a regular routine.  Some daily, some weekly, and so on.  I
think it wouldn't be a bad idea if computer owners did the same sort of
thing.  You know, running an AV program once in a while, that sort of
thing.

>Right, after that uncommon bit of empathy for the plight of my fellow
>mortals, I'm going to a BBQ to get properly "it's the weekend" drunk

Sounds like a plan.  I might do the BBQ thing tomorrow, myself.

>shake off this feeling of solidarity. Back to my usual schedule of
>hating everyone shortly.

:-))

(1) Which, of course, he could be lying about.

--
 Regards  _
That's what I call you