Re: [LUG] Archlinux on the RPI and the PI camera

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:57:48 +0800, Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I'm moaned that the PI couldn't be used as a security camera in the
>past on this list, though after playing with the PI camera, I think
>I'm changing my tune! This should be better and a 1/3 of the cost of a
>http://www.y-cam.com/

I am interested in doing something similar as I have one of the original
y-cams that only works properly with IE and have been thinking about
replacing it for ages. One thing that is very good about the y-cam is
reliability, it basically just keeps working.

Last year I bought a couple of the cheap foscam clones off of ebay but
they just weren't reliable enough, requiring constant resets and I
ended up returning them. My experience is that a lot of these
cheapo cameras have zero support often just a forum where users can
complain about problems but no-one has any answers.

I was thinking about going the Pi + PiCam route not to save money but
just so that if something is wrong I have a reasonable chance of being
able to fix it myself. Plus I also fancy hooking it up to the doorbell
and fire alarm, etc. to send alerts and do some other stuff which would
be hard/expensive to do with the commercial solutions.

Kevin