Re: [LUG] auto starting services

On 27/07/13 20:33, Simon Avery wrote:
> I personally have no problem with a variety of levels, from the basic (and
> there are far more basic questions than how to autostart on [deb|rasp]ian,
> that's why many distros have evolved slicker interfaces for adding autorun
> programs) - through to the advanced.
>
> That diversity gives this list dynamism and interest for everyone, in my
> opinion.
>
> Well, perhaps not everyone, it seems.
>
> As it is, I think people new to Linux wouldn't learn as quickly as they do
> being exposed to what are sometimes highly intelligent, well considered and
> robust discussions if they were made to feel they weren't good enough to
> play with the big boys but encouraged instead to segregation by newbie-list.
>
> I don't like people who ask for help being made to feel small, or that they
> should have googled first. That's not the spirit I feel a LUG should
> engender. We should be here to support each other on any gnu/linux related
> topic, not just those deemed appropriate to a certain skill level.

No, it's just yet more increasing the signal to noise ratio on an
internet that is already hopelessly full of noise.

I'm not going out of my way to put anyone down or make them feel small
either - jesus christ, anyone would think there are a lot of thin
skinned people on this list who need protection from, well, everything
apparently - but if someone does feel stupid or small then, well,
boo-hoo special snowflake.

That wasn't asking for help either - it's 2013, and he's apparently a
user of an alternative OS known for it's required technical acumen to
handle properly. And yet he obviously hadn't even bothered typing
"raspberry pi autostart vncserver" into google.

Now if someone was asking, "Hey, I've tried typing 'raspberry pi
autostart vncserver' into google *but*..." it would be an entirely
different question, providing the 'but' was something like "any advice
on which is the best approach?" or "x didn't work for me, please help"
then I'd be all over it - just look at the efforts I've gone to in the
past on this very list trying to walk users through really, really basic
things.

This was not such a case, just pure "I couldn't be bothered to even try
and fix this myself".

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/ *

Regards

* apols to all rude words haters - that's just the name of the site, I
can hardly censor the URL now can I?