Re: [LUG] auto starting services

On 27/07/13 20:41, Simon Waters wrote:
> It's an ugly hack but for something like vncserver you can probably stick the
> command in the rc.local file on Debian. It is a simple script run after everything
> else when entering multiuser run levels.
>
> Ubuntu has rc.local as a disabled sysvinit script, so needs an "update-rc.d enable
> rc.local" (from memory, use tab autocomplete to get the right names). Then again
> Ubuntu might have a better approach in upstart, but as far as I can see Ubuntu
> spent a lot of effort deviating from the traditional way, introduced a shed load
> of messy bugs, devalued my decades of learning, and introduced a load of
> under-commented start-up scripts. You can tell I'm not an upstart fan can't you.

Simon you have a good point here,  L/Ubuntu makes things easy but that
doesn't always mean its a good thing,  the auto start directory is fine
but just seems other distros e.g debian give far more control over
services etc.,  sysvinit et al were quite good little programs.   esp as
it gave far deeper control as to which run level started / stopped which
service.

perhaps a discussion point for the next meeting may help people advise
new users better on which distro to use for their requirements.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.