Re: [LUG] Kudos to AAISP

On 23/07/13 10:57, Paul Sutton wrote:

> There seems to be two fronts to the current crusade against porn
>
> 1. is to filter out search terms that can be used by people to
> find child porn,  this can be countered as people have pointed out
> there are

I suspect that if it's even possible to find such material using
Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc you'd need to know exactly the right "code words"

> other ways in which people find content online not even using  web
> browser and search engine as such.   Offenders will simply find
> way to circumvent all this.

Assuming they are not doing this already.

> 2. To automatically block on line porn (definition unknown as in
> does this cover page 3 up to the explicit material)
>
> I  agree with what was said on on the bcc website by the former
> head of ceop
>
> But former Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre boss
> Jim Gamble told BBC Radio 4's Today programme it was important to
> "get to the root cause" of illegal pornography, by catching those
> responsible for creating it.

IIRC some of the largest distributors are actually law enforcement
agencies...

> What this policy seems to suggest is that if we hide child porn
> behind a veil and make it hard to get at,  it goes away, child
> abuse will go way as we don't have the maturity as adult MPs to
> discuss sex let alone the put the words sex and children within the
> same discussion,  surely we need MP's with the guts to tackle this
> HEAD ON or stand aside and allow others with the guts to discuss
> the issue and not just come up with a lets block it policy.

Assuming you can actually find at least two suitable MPs :)

> As one of the comments says the bigger issue seems to be the
> sexualisation of children by mainstream media,

The tabloid press likes to make a big fuss about "on line porn" being
viewed by children being the problem here. Even though it's been
frequently pointed out that their own "reporting" is at least as bad.

> We are looking at 2 different issues here,  the first I doubt even
> the most hard core freedom advocate condones child abuse let alone
> the sharing of child abuse images.
>
> Questions to the list is
>
> How do we protect people from harmful content ?  While at the same
> time protect freedoms online ?

There's a more subtle question of "What is 'harmful content' in the
first place?"
Which in the context of any web "filtering" ends up becoming "How can
this be enumerated to a (very dumb) machine?" (If it were possible to
create a real Artificial Intelligence there's a good chance it would
stage a "slave revolt".)