Re: [LUG] Carrier grade NAT..

On 20/07/13 21:16, davidson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, bad apple wrote:
>
>> I'm not knocking you at all - you at least posted your cool script for
>> everyone to use whereas I have no intention whatsoever of revealing my
>> secret sauce recipes for my magic OpenBSD configuration.
>
> aw, c'mon.
>
> pics or it didn't happen.
>
>> It's just that anyone who can understand your script or who has a
>> need to manage this kind of setup at all, will already have their
>> own solution in place. For the rest, they obviously don't need it.
>
> fwiw, i could not have written the script in question, but looking at
> it was informative.
>
> everyone can understand more (correct) code than they can write.  or
> could benefit from trying.

Pics are no problem!

I'm not sure how far a jpg of a non-descript Supermicro 1U server at the
top of a rack will get you though. There are a lot of pretty different
coloured ethernet cables (it's a colo, so I didn't do the cabling
unfortunately) exploding out the back of it so maybe you can reverse
engineer my pf rules if you squint *really* hard. The blue one is
dedicated for lolcats, incidentally. That FDR adaptor wasn't cheap, but
holy crap, kittens doing cool stuff demand as much bandwidth as I could
throw at them.

I bet you could have written that script - to be honest, us "experts"
aren't really particularly more skilled than you. We've just had more
practice. Keep at it, and we'll be borrowing your scripts before you
know it. Kai is a distro maintainer, so to be fair, his script is
unsurprisingly really "clean", concise and a great source for learning -
you should see what most of mine look like. Yeah, sure, they work fine,
but for some reason they look like they've been written by an angry
person who's been drinking and smoking 'herbal cigarettes' since getting
dragged out of bed at 4am for some bullshit emergency job. I have no
idea why...

Regards