Re: [LUG] Carrier grade NAT..

On 18/07/13 16:16, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 18 July 2013 23:04, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> firewall. And that is solved with a reverse ssh tunnel.
> Which pi.dabase.com does ...

I did read the code, and I did notice that, obviously.

>> I did look at your code though, and it's perfectly sensible, neat and
>> tidy. I just can't think what I'd use it for.
> It makes a lot of sense when you have lots of devices in lots of
> different places.

Which I do... and I mean a *lot*. Many, many more than 80.

I have a "broker" server too - a dedicated OpenBSD instance that acts as
a middleman where necessary for port reflection, tunnel brokering and
provisioning, etc. I use it as the 'magical' network glue for getting
awkward systems to talk to each other even with headbanging cases like
multiple NATs, aggressive firewalls, ISPs blocking certain ports, etc
(it mostly functions as a bridge to redirect SMTP traffic to unblocked
ports on clients who have mail servers running on crappy ISP connections).

I'm not knocking you at all - you at least posted your cool script for
everyone to use whereas I have no intention whatsoever of revealing my
secret sauce recipes for my magic OpenBSD configuration. It's just that
anyone who can understand your script or who has a need to manage this
kind of setup at all, will already have their own solution in place. For
the rest, they obviously don't need it.

Regards