[LUG] Email etiquette, was: Yahoo spam article

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> Does not 'suck' for inter company email that allows first 5 lines to go
> to a phone. ( I.e. download only first five lines)
>
> Also the 'chain' is in order at most recent mail first in book pages
> when printed out to hard copy legal record

I don't think either is a major issue when people only quote the
relevant parts of the email. But I agree, quoting everything and then
bottom-posting is far worse than top posting. Which is why I can see
why most mail clients have top posting as the default.

(At least Blackberry only downloads the first x lines of an email by
default, where x is far greater than 5, but usually not large enough
if people bottom-post without deleting. You can easily download the
rest of the email though.)

I almost always use top posting for more formal email correspondence.
Work and things like that. It happens regularly that someone needs to
be included into the conversation so it's useful if they can see the
full conversation for reference.

On lists I always use bottom posting, while in correspondence with
friends I usually delete the original email and just write a new one.

Martijn.