Re: [LUG] USB with "target critical error dev sdb sector 8)

On 27/06/13 07:28, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> A memory stick has corrupted: I suspect by turning off the PC when in
> mid write. Not 100% sure. The output from dmesg is as follows

> The data is I hope backed up but apart from reformatting the drive is
> there any way of getting the data back

The easiest way for  you would be (I'm presuming you're using a Debian
derivative, if not, then modify slightly):

sudo apt-get install testdisk
sudo photorec

And then follow the simple prompts. Don't be confused by the name - it's
a general purpose file recovery tool.

But if your data is backed up, why do you need to still recover the
contents? *wink*

Also, that disk is now toast: as soon as you've finished recovery, toss
it. They're cheap anyway. Well, maybe not the 32Gb ones like yours: you
should try and fdisk it completely, then reformat, but if it spits the
same errors into dmesg after a complete nuking then you're going to have
to toss it anyway, or you'll be revisiting your data recovery skills
very shortly...

Regards