Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

Hi All,

Problem:
Quite a lot of these "warrants" are
obtained from relatively inexperienced
JPs, they who have
been around a bit longer ask too many questions.

Solution:
Publish the conviction rates (ie where goods or
information obtained as a
result of each search result in
a conviction) of each magistrate, then we
can see who are
the soft touches, and who are the cynical old gits.

Should make interesting reading, then we can identify those
JPs in need
of re-training. Don't hold your breath.

Regards etc,
Ray.

sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx
<list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: Re: [LUG] OT surveillance
>
>On
Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
agree,  I was under the impression they were more
interested in who
>> communicates with whom, rather than
the content of the communications.

>Both. In some cases,
they've collected the former (technically called

>'metadata'). It's still a huge breach of privacy: you can
find out a
>lot about someone by being able to see who they
communicate with,
>especially if you're also able to see
who these people then
>communicate with.
>
>> the killing
may have been prevented
>(...)
>> what happened could have
been prevented

>With hindsight everything is obvious and
thus it may seem that things
>are easy to prevent. That is
wrong though. Bruce Schneier wrote about
>this better than
I can put it:

>http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/05/intelligence_an.html
>
>> If GCHQ / NSA are acting outside the law
>
>I'm not
sure if they are. I'm worried they aren't - from what I've

>read it seems that they have proper warrants for the
surveillance they