Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> I agree,  I was under the impression they were more interested in who
> communicates with whom, rather than the content of the communications.

Both. In some cases, they've collected the former (technically called
'metadata'). It's still a huge breach of privacy: you can find out a
lot about someone by being able to see who they communicate with,
especially if you're also able to see who these people then
communicate with.

> the killing may have been prevented
(...)
> what happened could have been prevented

With hindsight everything is obvious and thus it may seem that things
are easy to prevent. That is wrong though. Bruce Schneier wrote about
this better than I can put it:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/05/intelligence_an.html

> If GCHQ / NSA are acting outside the law

I'm not sure if they are. I'm worried they aren't - from what I've
read it seems that they have proper warrants for the surveillance they
perform. That makes it kind of scary.

Martijn.