Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On 26/06/13 09:48, Neil Stone wrote:
> On 06/26/13 05:30, Kai Hendry wrote:
>> After seeing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23049737 with GCHQ's
>> Cornwall outpost I was wondering what other DCLUG members thought
>> about the revelations that pretty much all our activites on the
>> Internet are watched without due process.
>>
>> Are we comfortable with that?
>>
>> Seems like most people have gone into resigned acceptance mode (or
>> they knew it all along) instead of writing to your MP mode and try to
>> curtail it.
>>
> If you have nothing to hide, why worry ?

I agree,  I was under the impression they were more interested in who
communicates with whom, rather than the content of the communications.
I think this cropped up when Abu Quatada was re-arrested for
communicating out side of his bail  or release terms (I don't have full
info),    And this is I assume when they DO have permission to intercept
/ monitor communications.

It seems odd that MI5 et al  were watching the killer of Lee RIgby and
failed to act, but the police et -al jumped at the chance to arrest
someone for sending a birthday greeting via facebook,  the latter is
hardly a matter for national security, (granted there were communication
restrictions)  if they had acted in the former then the killing may have
been prevented, like wise in the US the Boston bombers were on the rader
and for all the expertise and big boy stuff, the authorities failed to
prevent the bombing.   Maybe even in the case of the Maths teacher
running off with a pupil people knew , people failed (incompetent) and
the what happened could have been prevented,  look at Oxford, Rochdale
child abuse cases and other scandles,  more examples of useless over
paid, over qualified jobsworths not doing their job properly and
worryingly not being sacked which would at least scare their associates
in doing their job properly

It seems the people charged with protecting us are not doing that, to a
level we should expect,  but what are our expectations.

Given the recent border agency they do not even know who is in the country,

So going back to what Neil said is fine, but it seems the threat  level
you pose is indirectly proportional to the ability to keep track of you.

Then when you have MP's who think google is the Internet and can just
block porn with a switch is it any wonder,  when it comes to child porn
especially surely we should be stopping the abuse (see above) as
blocking it does not stop people abusing. but that would require people
to ohh get off their fat backsides and investigate people  properly, we
can't have the police enforcing the law against real criminals can we,
it's much easier to go after joe bloggs driving 1mph over the speed
limit or Mrs Smith not paying council tax (which people have withheld as
they object to police time being used for the driving offense i just
mentioned)

Surely if the police et al want our co-operation they need to trust us,
and treat us with a bit more respect.  If GCHQ / NSA are acting outside
the law, this needs to be investigated otherwise court cases could be
put at risk if a defense lawyer asks for evidence that due process was
followed,  this could be VERY dangerous,  not only for the rest of us
but for any witnesses.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.