[LUG] Free software: great power

Teh positive:

Let's hear it, folks. Whether you realize it or not, by joining this list you declare yourself part of the team. What have you done for software freedom lately? Say the last six months. I think it would be excellent for us each to submit a bi-yearly digest, not as a dick- waving contest but in the hope and expectation of getting some plaudits and encouragement from our peers.

--- cut here ---

I have:

[ ] Submitted bugs
[ ] Submitted feature requests
[ ] Submitted patches
[ ] Posted/modified source code on github/launchpad/sourceforge/...
[ ] Added/improved localization text
[ ] Added/improved documentation
[ ] Added/improved tests
[ ] Added/improved text/content/media/music/graphics/photos/maps/ sounds/themes
[ ] Helped a project with website admin and maintenance
[ ] Helped a project with database admin
[ ] Helped a project with QA
[ ] Helped with project admin
[ ] Helped a project with design/architecture
[ ] Submitted/maintained packages to/on a free software repo
[ ] Blogged, tweeted, or posted answers/discoveries somewhere web- searchable
[ ] Published under Creative Commons
[ ] Paid for software authors' time
[ ] Paid for software creators' services/hosting/support/training/ consulting/manuals...
[ ] Paid for dual-licensed free software
[ ] Donated to the FSF
[ ] Added data to OpenStreetMap
[ ] Edited WikiPedia or similar
[ ] Donated legal services to a project
[ ] Donated accounting services to a project
[ ] Donated other professional services to a project
[ ] Hosted a free software repo mirror
[ ] Donated hardware to a project
[ ] Volunteered to make the tea and sweep up for a project
[ ] Migrated users from non-free to free solutions
[ ] Other: Hugged one of my favorite Emacs author/evangelists.

[ ] I want to tell someone more about how I did one or more of these things.

--- cut here ---

If you can't check a single checkbox right now, then please try to be able to before the end of today.

Let's all train ourselves to stop saying or thinking "I *use* free software", substituting "I *use and create* free software". With great power comes great fun.

LUG webmins: maybe this could be the basis for a "How can I help" FAQ?

Here's my report:

--- cut here ---

I have:

[ ] Submitted bugs
[ ] Submitted feature requests
[x] Submitted patches
[x] Posted/modified source code on github/launchpad/sourceforge/...
[ ] Added/improved localization text
[ ] Added/improved documentation
[ ] Added/improved tests
[ ] Added/improved text/content/media/music/graphics/photos/maps/ sounds/themes
[ ] Helped a project with website admin and maintenance
[ ] Helped a project with database admin
[ ] Helped a project with QA
[ ] Helped with project admin
[ ] Helped a project with design/architecture
[ ] Submitted/maintained packages to/on a free software repo
[x] Blogged, tweeted, or posted answers/discoveries somewhere web- searchable
[ ] Published under Creative Commons
[ ] Paid for software authors' time
[ ] Paid for software creators' services/hosting/support/training/ consulting/manuals...
[ ] Paid for dual-licensed free software
[ ] Donated to the FSF
[ ] Added data to OpenStreetMap
[x] Edited WikiPedia or similar
[ ] Donated legal services to a project
[ ] Donated accounting services to a project
[ ] Donated other professional services to a project
[ ] Hosted a free software repo mirror
[ ] Donated hardware to a project
[ ] Volunteered to make the tea and sweep up for a project
[ ] Migrated users from non-free to free solutions
[x] Other: Hugged one of my favorite Emacs author/evangelists.

[x] I want to tell someone more about how I did one or more of these things.

--- cut here ---

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63