Re: [LUG] Free software: great power

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Philip Hudson did spam forth:

Let's all train ourselves to stop saying or thinking "I *use* free
software", substituting "I *use and create* free software". With
great power comes great fun.

i would argue that just being an inquisitive user is a contribution.
hard to learn much if you aren't.  hard to do much if you don't.  and
hard to teach much, full stop.

and in my experience, there's a lot of all that that could use doing,
and the lines between them are imaginary.

I think it would be excellent for us each to submit a bi-yearly
digest, not as a dick-waving contest but in the hope and expectation
of getting some plaudits and encouragement from our peers.

never heard beer called that before.

anyways, for science:

--- cut here ---

plopped lubuntu onto a laptop for a friend.  tend to it.  plot in
anticipation of the day when i will deftly replace it with a
sufficiently user-friendly debian installation.

helped proofread an article about a free software project, aimed at
potential end-users.

collected discarded hardware from trash bins.  (obviously this need
not have anything to do with free software. nevertheless,
land:housing::hardware:software insofar as if you lack the means to
obtain the first, being able to build the second is less useful.)

finally, and most importantly, cursed canonical without pause,
regardless of whether anyone else was around to hear.

--- cut here ---