Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 12/06/13 10:24, tom wrote:
> On 12/06/13 08:42, Kai Hendry wrote:
>> On 12 June 2013 12:37, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the replies. Just to fill in some more details. The
>>> hotel has
>>> 50+ rooms and wants a form that allows the user to enter the wifi
>>> password
>>> and their email address. The email address to capture usage. This is
>>> both
>>> because of the law and also because of unauthorised access. Quite how
>>> they're going to monitor it I don't know.
>> Since when is getting a user to enter his email address the law?
>>
>> I'm told by http://revk.www.me.uk/ is that as soon as offer Internet
>> access with a contract http://www.flickr.com/photos/hendry/8658225840/
>> you are effectively becoming an ISP with all the trimmings. Which is
>> bonkers.
>>
>> If you just have an open access point on your premises, IIUC you're
>> not considered an ISP.
>>

>> I personally think it's far too inconvenient for holidaymakers to
>> requests codes to gain Internet access.
I agree with you here, it's 2013,    But sometimes you have to put some
sort of controls in place to help manage things.   If you do make it as
painless and possible.

Paul

>> Therefore my AP on my parent's
>> holiday cottage is left simply open. We don't charge for electricity
>> either. ;)
>>
>> If a patron is abusing the network, instead I guess the router should
>> print at the DHCP table perhaps the abusive % that user's MAC of his
>> device is doing and then one just kills it. I don't have such a
>> facility of my network, though I wish I did!
>>
> You can sometimes set up Quality Of Service on your router - if so
> give the guests a different ip area and use that as a class and
> restrict its bandwidth so you can always get some.
> tom te tom te tom

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.