Re: [LUG] font rendering done right

On 06/06/13 22:58, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 06/06/13 20:31, bad apple wrote:
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/better-font-rendering-in-linux-with.html
>>
>> I could not have been more wrong - the results are immediate and like
>> night and day compared to the defaults. I haven't even bothered tweaking
>> it yet, just installed it and set it to Infinality/Infinality (which is
>> a pre-set based exactly on the dev's own preferred setup) and it's
>> amazing.
> Hmm, it seems to have changed my default system font (within GNOME at
> least) to something with ugly serifs.
>
> I've reset that in terminal and icedove, but can't immediately see how
> to set it right (should the ugly critter turn up elsewhere - I recognize
> it is the same one something else defaults to (possibly Macs?)).
>
> Also tweaked my anti-aliasing to greyscale (perhaps I had tweaked this
> stuff before), but that may be a personal choice thing or an LCD thing.
>
> Seems also to have sorted a strange fuzziness issue with the right hand
> side of the screen which I hadn't noticed till I read your post and
> compared their before and after pictures and noted that something odd
> happened on the right hand side of my screen.
>
> Does seem to have sorted the kerning issue in Debian, but it all looks
> fairly different due to the changes of font.
>
> Suppose the question to ask is why is it still a patch?
>
>  Simon

If you're on Gnome3 launch gnome-tweak-tool and check the fonts section
in there - also, as per the webupd8 instructions, play with the
USE_STYLE="DEFAULT" stanza in /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh to
fine tune, or just manually change everything to your preferences as you
seem to be as obsessive about these small but important details as me
(so nice to know I'm not the only one who fiddles with kerning and
anti-aliasing settings).

As to why it's still a patch - well, Debian is ultra-conservative but
I'm a bit surprised that as it's been around for a while - apparently:
I'd never heard of it until today - Ubuntu/Mint haven't seized on it
yet, as they like a bit of eyecandy. It's not on Debian mentors either,
surprisingly. I'm so impressed by it that I've finished rolling a deb
and it's going straight into my local repos for mandatory inclusion in
all the images/builds I push.

Yeah, come to think of it, in it's initial mode before I set it to
infinality mode, it was a bit reminiscent of Mac actually. Amusingly,
just like you, the only places I have so far seen fit to change the
defaults were in terminal and in my case Thunderbird, rather than
Icedove, but all the same... Great (?) nerds think details alike
apparently. The default monospace 12 point font for plaintext formatted
emails looked like crap.

Cheers