Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Thu, 2 May 2013 15:17:19 +0100
Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>It is. But which program are you talking about? In most cases

I've seen it in Claws Mail(0);  Unless preferences are set to accept
all certs as valid I got a warning about google's cert being changed
every ten minutes(1) because they're running two valid certs, although
one is supposed to supersede the other.  CM issues the warning so that
the user is aware there /might/ be a security issue if they proceed.

>certificates should 'just work', without any user intervention.
>Someone should be able to change their certificate daily, or use five
>certificates in parallel and it will still "just work".* They
>definitely won't have to accept anything, let alone everything, as
>valid.

(0) I recall other people saying similar things WRT other MUAs, but
can't for the life of me think which ones.

(1) That's worst case;  I poll every ten minutes for mail.  If I was
unlucky, I'd connect to a server that was using the other certificate.
It's stopped being an issue for me since I don't use google any more.

--
 Regards  _
It belongs to them, let's give it back