Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> I've seen it in Claws Mail(0);  Unless preferences are set to accept
> all certs as valid I got a warning about google's cert being changed
> every ten minutes(1) because they're running two valid certs, although
> one is supposed to supersede the other.  CM issues the warning so that
> the user is aware there /might/ be a security issue if they proceed.

Ah yes, I now see you had mentioned Claws before.

I did a quick Google search on the subject, and found the
unsafe_ssl_certs setting documented here:

http://www.claws-mail.org/documentation.php

which allows Claws to store multiple certificates for a given domain.*
Through the same search I found that you are using skip_ssl_cert_check
instead, which skips SSL checks altogether. :-)

* Google uses round-robin DNS so the same domain points to a number of
IP addresses, that is, a number of servers.

I'm still not sure Google is at fault though. It sounds to me that the
default in Claws is unnecessarily strict.

Martijn.