Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On 29/04/13 21:31, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> Google really screw themselves with SSL certs, rolling them out over
>> time across their mail servers so you get warnings(1) about certificate
>> validity. I don't trust them to do anything else right, either.
>>
>> (1) Depends on your MUA and how you set it up.  Several seem to accept,
>> by default, anything google throws at them, which is a worry.
>
> I hadn't heard of this before. It'd surprise me, Google tends to be
> pretty good when it comes to certificates.

I'd heard that a couple of big players don't always have consistent
certificates across their infrastructure. It was noted by the
certificate notaries, as a case they need to handle. But inconsistent is
not wrong by SSL standards.

In the normal SSL case, all that matters is the certificate is correctly
issued, and not revoked.

I've not seen Google serving expired or otherwise invalid certificates,
and reports of such are few and far between since 2010. If Brad has
details...

But then I don't use it for email currently, and I don't mandate SSL
works correctly for my email (unlike Google - who recently have).

Curiously I'm planning to move email to Google precisely because they do
a better job on this sort of thing than I do. Clearly people who
understand security at the helm and with time to track down when the
Chinese government (allegedly) try and break into Gmail accounts and the
like, which lets face it someone motivated and able is probably trying
to crack someone elses gmail account several times a minute.