Re: [LUG] Mythtv and internet connected TVs

On 29/04/13 12:27, Henry Bremridge wrote:
I was thinking of getting
-   An internet connected TV
-   Netflix
Netflix won't work on Linux very well (it can work through a modified version of Wine but it's fairly slow). However a lot of 'smart' Bluray players now seem to have these sort of services either integrated or available. My dad for instance has a not very smart Samsung 3D LCD TV and a smart Bluray player (I think doing it this way was a considerable saving on the next model of TV up). It also has the advantage that if he replaces his TV he gets to keep the smart features.
and was wondering about mythtv

Does anyone use Mythtv? Any opinions?

What distro? Ubuntu / Debian and Debian Multimedia?

Any suggestions?
There is a specific Ubuntu based distro, MythBuntu springs to mind.

You might also want to have a look at a Raspberry Pi running something like Raspbmc which has XBMC. I believe it has plugins for MythTV, and it does support BBC iPlayer using an add-on, and also ITV Player and Demand5 too via other plugins (and the other usual things like Youtube).

Rob