Re: [LUG] Mythtv and internet connected TVs

On 29/04/13 15:47, Simon Avery wrote:
I've used most windows and linux dvr's over the past decade or so, but stuck with Mythtv for about five years now because it's the best (Not the easiest to configure, though). At one time I had four physical dvb-t tuners (and 8 logical), but since DSO I can't get freeview any more so satisfy my needs with Freesat and a single double-tuner pci card and can record four simultaneous things.

Anyway, it's great. I use it to record only, and mythweb to schedule. I have a script I wrote myself that renames the resulting .mpg files into something human readable and then watch them over samba to my pc, popcorn hour and laptop.  I also have tinydlna running on the server and use that to watch stuff on my phone or tablet.

I don't use myth for playback. Never found a need to, although I understand it's perfectly nice.

Mine runs on debian because I use debian and the server is used for a lot of things. The packages are fine.

NFI if myth works with streaming or how, I just use dvb-s for satellite. Works dandy.

This is probably not entirely relevant to the original query. I have XMBC, it's a fine media player, but I am using it on a desktop so the full screen, command keys, or TV controler stuff is a bit annoying.

The only TV/media application I really like is kaffeine. I have a satellite card. All other media players seem to demand channel files generated from the command line, where as kaffeine, if you distro has detected and installed the relevant TV card module (if you choose the correct source, Astra 28 or terrestrial digital), will just scan and let you choose the channels you want. Absolutely painless and allows recording, DVD play back and whatever.

There is MeTV for Gnome, but although it will do it's own scan it is not good on playing radio channels. I e-mailed the, Australian, developer and he said he had never even thought that people would listen to radio using his application (maybe Oz has gone digital since then?). There maybe other TV players which don't demand imputing you satellite/ TV source on the command line and generating a channel file, but I have yet to find one that "just works" with DVB-S.

Myth TV, well I installed it from the Kubuntu repositories, and if you find a decent tutorial it isn't as mythically difficult to set up as is often said. But like XMBC this is a media server application and is a pain to use on a desktop if you want to pause it and answer e-mail at the same time.

So I would recomend kaffiene as a desktop TV player, but if you're putting a media player dedicated to your TV probably the MythTV backend with an XMBC frontend (is possible, but don't ask for tutorial). MythTV will also auto scan channels, but you might have to find out more than you wish to know about TV broadcast source settings.

And this has nothing to do with streaming...