Re: [LUG] Home server

On 06/04/13 17:06, Simon Avery wrote:
> Neil,
>
> I'm going to make it difficult for you now and disagree with BA. :)  (This
> won't be the last time you're offered conflicting advice btw)
>
> Yes, virtualisation has its merits - snapshotting being very high on the
> list and useful in experimentation, and portability of clients between
> hosts another.
>
> The downsides: At least two operating systems to admin and maintain and
> less efficient (more ram/cpu/hdd needed for the same bang). It's also
> another technology to learn with its own complexities and mistakes to make,
> and on top of learning the server side of things it's unnecessary. You can
> learn it later and get more performance out of your hardware for less money
> in the meantime. (Also, I could probably make a reasonable case that
> running a host on a client wastes more electricity, since there is more cpu
> required to do the same thing so it steps up more often. In reality, this
> wouldn't amount to more than a quid or two a year.)
>
> For a simple home server, I really don't think it's needed, unless you plan
> on doing something unusual.

This is by far the best bit of advice :]

> I refer you to an earlier comment: Listen to advice and ignore what you
> like, including this :)

I wouldn't research too much either Neil - you've got a spare box, you
know some linux by now and you're even familiar with VirtualBox.
Virtualization or not, I'd stop prevaricating, give up on research and
just dive in head first. It's not like you're a total newbie anymore!

Good luck.

Cheers