Re: [LUG] Off topic, but can anyone help please ?

Thanks, bad apple.
That worked a treat.

Regards etc,

Ray.

06/04/13 17:12, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi
All,

>> I realise that this is off topic, if anyone has

>> any relevant experiences,
>> lets swop ideas.

had a
>> hybrid windows/Linux wired network which worked
tolerably
>> well. Then
>> I acquired two Windows 7 PCs
and tried to wire
>> them in. Trouble is, the network

name is something other
>> than Workgroup, and I have not
yet found out how to

>> convince the Win 7 PCs to be
part of anything other than
>> Workgroup.
>>
>> I realise
that I could re-name the existing
>> network, but I would
prefer the
>> new machines to tie into
>> the existing
network, rather that it tie into them.

>> Ideas

please ?

>> Regards etc,
>> Ray Knowles.
>>

>Behold,
Microsoft do actually have pretty good documentation
y'know:

>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/join-or-create-a-workgroup
>
>In win7/8 parlance they tend to refer this as
'homegroups' now, rather
>than workgroups, but it's the
same principle - you should find it
>incredibly trivial to
rename the workgroup setting on the two new
>machines to
match your current setup. This is not a domain though, so

>you will have to manually configure which folders are
shared and other
>permission settings (all of which is well
documented and easy to find on
>Technet or the internet at
large).

>If you've got more than 2 or 3 windows clients
on the same network you
>should maybe think about going the
full AD/domain route though -
>obviously you will need to
legally obtain a Microsoft server license
>first though.
Or, if you're a proper badass, setup Samba4 (Samba4 is

>*awesome*) on a linux machine to manage the domain. You
can even admin
>the domain as usual from the windows boxes
- just install the RSAT tool
>package and point it at the
IP address of the linux domain controller
>and you can then
manage it natively. So cool.

>Feel free to ask if you
want any more help, for my sins I know windows