Re: [LUG] Home server

On 05/04/13 18:12, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 05/04/13 17:58, Simon Avery wrote:
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Yes - do it!
>>

> Thanks for the encouragement!! Now I have to start learning how it all
> works. Sigh, more Googling I suppose. Do you recommend Ubuntu server?

Not particularly: however, it has a low barrier of entry and pretty
decent documentation online so you could do worse.

What are the specs of your old box - most importantly, does it have
hardware virtualization support? I mean, if it's a quad-core Intel Core2
or later with 4-8Gb RAM then it will make a nice little server, but if
it's a power sucking crappy old single-core P4 with 1Gb of RAM it's
essentially trash. It is at least 64 bit I hope!

A good setup for just playing around with is to get a very, very boring
and stable distro installed on it and then set up virtualization for all
further playing about. CentOS, Debian stable or Slackware are all good
candidates for the bare metal install. Once you've got KVM, VirtualBox,
VMWare or whatever else you want to virtualize with (or all of them, why
not?) setup on top you can then play to your heart's content knowing
that if you screw something up you can just toss the VM and start again
or roll back to a snapshot with no risks.

Cheers