Re: [LUG] Home server

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 18:02 +0100, Manipula wrote:

Im looking for an old pc for a home server so you coukd sell it to me :-)

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I sometimes come across mention of setting up a home server with Linux,
so I have been Googling a bit. My current desktop is fairly new and my
old machine is lying around in a cupboard somewhere doing nothing.

It occurs to me that I could use it (the old machine) to set up a server
to see what it is all about. If nothing else I could use it to learn
something about it all works

Does anyone on the list have any suggestions etc about this?

Thanks

Neil

Yes its easy Just look at http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/479960:the-six-best-linux-community-server-distributions

and choose a server Distro

I like Fedora personally but all are capable.

Some things you need to set up are possibly

Samba (http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora-17-samba-standalone-server-with-tdbsam-backend)

Mail (http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/) nice for Ubuntu

Webserver (apache) (php)(http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch20_:_The_Apache_Web_Server#.UV8KJqr_PBU )

MySql Databases (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMySQL.html) avoids common pitfalls and shows the use of the command line first before getting messed up in a GUI

Ssh (use the commandline distro installer yum, apt-get etc.)
Cups Printing (same as above then http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html)

then play with Disks, adding more or set up RAID (need three similar disks)

once the distro is installed and ssh is working on the Network you don't need a monitor!

--

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)