Re: [LUG] Home server

On 05/04/13 18:58, Kevin Lucas wrote:
Yes its easy Just look at
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/479960:the-six-best-linux-community-server-distributions

and choose a server Distro

I like Fedora personally but all are capable.

Some things you need to set up are possibly

Samba
(http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora-17-samba-standalone-server-with-tdbsam-backend)

Mail (http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/) nice for Ubuntu

Webserver (apache)
(php)(http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch20_:_The_Apache_Web_Server#.UV8KJqr_PBU
<http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch20_:_The_Apache_Web_Server#.UV8KJqr_PBU>
)

MySql Databases
(http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMySQL.html) avoids common
pitfalls and shows the use of the command line first before getting
messed up in a GUI

Ssh (use the commandline distro installer yum, apt-get etc.)
Cups Printing (same as above then
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html)

then play with Disks, adding more or set up RAID (need three similar disks)

once the distro is installed and ssh is working on the Network you don't
need a monitor!

Hi Kevin, thanks for all the info. I have starred this email so that I can refer back to it easily. You have certainly given me some studying to do! I expect to enjoy it.

Neil