Re: [LUG] Home server

On 04/05/13 18:32, Simon Avery wrote:

> Thanks for the encouragement!! Now I have to start learning how it
> all works. Sigh, more Googling I suppose. Do you recommend Ubuntu
> server?

Depends what you're comfortible with...

> I recommend Debian.  (Reliable, free, secure, good package
> manager, massive software base, huge support)
>
> Others will recommend Ubuntu (Less reliable (IMO), more recent
> versions of software), others like OpenSuse, FreeBSD, Mint and
> others.
>
> It may depend on your usage case. Ubuntu has more cutting edge
> software, but that compromises stability. Some people are
> frustrated by Debian's release cycle being very slow (or thorough,
> depending on your view). Also don't get misled by "server" versions
> - you can generally do exactly the same stuff with main versions.
> Ubuntu server just has some of the crap trimmed out, but still
> (afaik) has a GUI, which I don't consider necessary for a server.
> But that can be uninstalled if you want.
>
> As this is your first server (I'm guessing), you should seek a
> distro with good support above all else. Linux has its roots in the
> server role, at its core that's what it does best. Linux is
> flexible, you can bend it to do what you want.
>
> Whichever you choose is your choice. If it all goes wrong, or you
> fancy changing if you don't like the one you picked first, do it.
> Or try them all!
>
> Listen to advice but feel free to ignore it, including this. :)

I'm firmly in the Debian camp when it comes to servers, Ubuntu for
Desktop systems and Gentoo for my own system ('cause it's faster).

If you have very little experience with running servers, I would
suggest you look at something like Webmin for configuring stuff, and
be prepared to nuke the lot and start again (if you keep a separate
/home you can save your data there).

Anyway, if you need help with stuff, we're here for you and on IRC also.

TTFN