Re: [LUG] Home server

Thanks for the encouragement!! Now I have to start learning how it all works. Sigh, more Googling I suppose. Do you recommend Ubuntu server?

I recommend Debian.  (Reliable, free, secure, good package manager, massive software base, huge support)

Others will recommend Ubuntu (Less reliable (IMO), more recent versions of software), others like OpenSuse, FreeBSD, Mint and others.

It may depend on your usage case. Ubuntu has more cutting edge software, but that compromises stability. Some people are frustrated by Debian's release cycle being very slow (or thorough, depending on your view). Also don't get misled by "server" versions - you can generally do exactly the same stuff with main versions. Ubuntu server just has some of the crap trimmed out, but still (afaik) has a GUI, which I don't consider necessary for a server. But that can be uninstalled if you want.

As this is your first server (I'm guessing), you should seek a distro with good support above all else. Linux has its roots in the server role, at its core that's what it does best. Linux is flexible, you can bend it to do what you want.

Whichever you choose is your choice. If it all goes wrong, or you fancy changing if you don't like the one you picked first, do it.  Or try them all!

Listen to advice but feel free to ignore it, including this. :)