Re: [LUG] Searching for spares

On 02/04/13 16:05, Julian Hall wrote:
  Good guess!  Numpty alert! :)

The basic system is my desktop PC with Gigabit onboard - drivers all OK.
That goes into my Virginmedia 'Super' hub which claims - according to
the activity lights - to be connected at Gbit speed.  That then links to
my Synology NAS which has Gigabit onboard.  All cabling is CAT5.  Ergo
all things being correct it should be going faster than an absolute
maximum on occasion of 40mb/sec.  It's WAY simpler than any network
you're dealing with I'm sure :)

What makes me suspect the cabling is that I've never got Gigabit speed
over it, even with a previous router that had Gigabit and my previous
NAS which did as well.  What I *have* noticed is that since swapping out
the old NAS the speeds have leapt, so that was at least part of the
problem.  However the only thing I haven't changed yet is the cabling.

BTW I do know about Gigabit v Gigabyte.. had the unhappy job for 6.5
years explaining to ISP customers that 'No you won't get 56 kilobytes a
second on your modem.. you'll be lucky to get 4..' then explaining the 8
bits + stop bit + check bit part meaning 'Divide by 10, chop off a bit
for resistance/latency and you'll get close'.  I'm hoping for a bit more
than 40% of the absolute maximum running downhill in a hurricane of
100Mb/sec though :)

If I'm honest the SuperHub is a bit pants, at best I get about 20 to 30 megabytes/sec sustained data transfer over CAT5 cables between my media PC and server (both running at 1Gbit). Sure it's a difference compared to 100Mbit but not a great deal.

But I have two of these Super Hubs, one for my cable connection and one spare which Virgin sent, and I'm too much of a cheapskate at the moment to fork out for a Gigabit switch although one day I see myself just going out and buying a reasonable 16 port Gigabit switch, well maybe eventually if I move into a place that needs decorating (although I don't have a wife acceptance factor to deal with at the moment... that's work in progress...

I do get fed up with all the cables but I can't seem to figure out a neat way of hiding them without doing some DIY... and in rented accommodation I don't fancy doing that).

Rob

P.S. Sorry if this already went through to the list, I've been having teething problems with my e-mail, I think it's fixed now.