Re: [LUG] Searching for spares

But you wrote Mbit!

On 02/04/13 09:24, Simon Avery wrote:
100mb != gbit. :)

We run gbit over cat5e and approaching 100 meter runs without any issues, so I would look closely at terminations and interference. And also at the interfaces at either end. Are they set right? If one end is a pc, is it using the right drivers, are they configured correctly? Is the other end gbit capable? Is there a 10/100 switch or hub forgotten in the middle that isn't?

Also, check link speeds rather than throughput. "not giving Mbit speeds" could mean you're assuming 1 gigabyte of data per second rather than the typical 1/10th of that, with a following wind and no other traffic on the network, AND that the kit either end is capable. (Hint, many user grade switches can do a 1mbit link, but can't sustain megabit data flow - they just don't have the processing power)

Cat6 is a sod to work with, but will help with interference issues to a degree if done properly. Don't just assume it's the same as cat5e to work with, though. I'm almost certain that in a home environment, you're better off re-using the existing cat5, or running new cat5e away from mains/noisy areas. IME, most cat6 use cases are more cost effectively done with cat5e, which costs buttons.