Re: [LUG] .bad apple.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Isn't all this down to EDUCATION

No.

I don't think I know anyone who is more paranoid about security than
bad apple - and I work in security, so I meet quite a few paranoid
people. Yet his account got compromised. I think we can be pretty
certain that the problem is not on his side - so how would education
help your average user.

As for email headers, these are complicated things. Perhaps not quite
rocket science, but it requires a trained eye to understand their
meaning and to be able to determine whether they mean what they claim
to say. The reason why the Internet, including email, is so successful
is that people can use it without being trained and without
understanding how it works. In my opinion, that's a good thing.

We can tell people never to do X, or always to do Y, but there are
many cases where this has been used against us.

Having said all this, I'm not against education in general. I think it
would help of people had some basic understanding of how computers
work. I think that is far more important than teaching people how to
do certain things on a computer. It's even more important than giving
sound security advise.

Martijn.