Re: [LUG] .bad apple.

 On 28/03/2013 10:10, Simon Avery wrote:
Absolutely.  Yahoo is a joke.  Anyone using them as an email provider on
the mailing lists I run has their moderation bit permanently set.  I'm
considering doing the same for all the web based 'email' account
providers.
Glad I'm not on any of your lists then...

I would say the majority of individuals use a free webmail provider.
Why would they not? The interfaces are very slick, they provide imap
and pop3 for those who want it, and their incoming spam protection is
usually better than most people can do on their own.
Agreed. It's not just individuals who find them attractive either. I know one university which uses GMail, and Virginmedia also use them. However the From: addresses on each are what you would expect .ntlworld.com / .virginmedia.com and .glam.ac.uk so there is no way a recipient would know the backbone email provider without examining the headers. Presumably though they are just as likely to get hacked as an individual's account.

Julian