Re: [LUG] OT: Scam call

 On 22/03/2013 16:27, Simon Avery wrote:
It works surprisingly often.

The husband of my wife's best friend fell foul. Not an idiot, just no
idea about computers. Gave his debit card information. £300 debit
while he was on the phone, and repeated tries until his bank locked it
and rang him to let him know he'd lost money. I don't actually know if
he got it back, or if he was duped into the
url-visiting-remote-control nasty installer.
I would like to just point out that I was not at any point saying those who *are* caught out by these scams are idiots. Lack of knowledge on a subject is not idiocy, or there is a whole raft of topics on which I could equally be called an idiot :)

In fact when I was working in Tech Support customers would sometimes say 'You must think I'm an idiot', to which I replied 'No, I'm *paid* to know this, you're not.. I'm sure you know much more about your job than I do.' OK on occasion I did think 'That defies all logic', but I never *said* so :)

Julian